Reply to this topicStart new topic
left  Racism, what is it?   Options  V right
Buddha Bubba
post Apr 14 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #1

heifer

Group: Sacred Members
Member No.: 319

The reason I ask this is that i am in a bit of a dilema. I mean, in my personal opinion there is no difference apart from cosmetic between black and white people. Somehow I told a black friend of mine tonight that I felt it was okay to make racist comments so long as they weren't meant. In other words I have friends who literally take the piss out of her because of her colour, but they weren't taking the piss because of her colour as such but rather my reaction to them taking the piss out of her colour. In other words they are taking the piss out of my in their opinion overly p.c stance. I told the said friend tonight that these folks were saying this stuff and that i through my belief that the actual target of the ridicule was me let the comments go. The girl now i think sees me as racist for allowing this stuff to go ahead even though i believe it is wrong at a base level.

If I cut everyone out of my life who felt treated someone differently due to the colour of their skin o'd have no friends and have to disown my family. Would this be the correct thing to do or not?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dick Handsome
post Apr 14 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #2

sacrosanct

Member No.: 315

I think you need to lay off the drugs is what I think. You just assaulted my brain with that mish-mash.

--------------------
"You wanna know, you wanna see
How much you can squeeze
You are the one,
You are a tease
You love my demon seed
You know just what I mean
Climb on my lemon tree"

+Quote Post
FunkBone
post Apr 15 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #3

sacrosanct

Member No.: 92

Nigger please.

--------------------
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth
all of the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it"
- Drive-By Truckers

____________________________________The Earth is Flat____________________________________
+Quote Post
Dick Handsome
post Apr 15 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #4

sacrosanct

And nigger thank-you.

--------------------
How much you can squeeze
You are the one,
You are a tease
You love my demon seed
Climb on my lemon tree"

+Quote Post
charismagician
post Apr 15 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Supreme Preeminent Master Taurus

Member No.: 301

did you know that nigger is used more today than ever? By everyone.

--------------------
I am not, I am not, and neither are you
+Quote Post
Light
post Apr 16 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #6

sacrosanct

Member No.: 9

Yet another old rant from me...

Is their much racial tension in where you live? I ask because it is something that I am clearly naive about. Allow me to explain further...

In Oldham, it has been today reported that vigilante gangs of Asian youths have declared certain areas of the city "No-Go" for white people. This is in response to an increase in racist attacks on Asians. So they are meeting racism with racism which, in my naiveté, seems like something of a fucking stupid idea.

The whole issue of racism gives me something of a mixed feeling. Not as to whether it is a good or bad thing, for it is beyond the doubt of any reasonable person that is an extraordinarily awful thing. No, what gives me the problem is just how one should apply the criteria to decide just what is racist.

Let us decide on a definition of racism before we proceed further. Racism is the belief that, regardless of whatever evidence to the contrary may exist, people are going to behave in a certain way. I'm quite aware that this is not going to be satisfactory to everyone, but I believe it is broad enough to encompass the ranged arch of racist behaviour.

We are living in a time of "political correctness gone mad" if you believe one point of view, or "building towards a more tolerant and multicultural society" if you believe the other. It should be quite clear that neither of these viewpoints are the whole truth. Whilst the former has all sorts of unsavoury associations with unpleasant bigots ranting away and then justifying themselves by trying to make out that it is we who have the problem, today's news shows that the latter comment is equally as detached from reality.

To me, this begs the following question; are both comments equally as racist? Neither are taking account of the way things actually are, both are ignoring facts that are plainly obvious. The more racist point of view fails to account for the fact that large numbers of people of differing colours and creeds can and do live together in harmony. By the same token, the idealistic point skirts around the reality that an equally large number of people do not.

Racism in both of these forms is equally as destructive. The former generates hatred between man, and the latter allows it to spread unchecked. There is no doubt in my mind that the actions of the youths in Oldham are racist, but what can one expect after the Stephen Lawrence case, or the Conservative party's difficulty in keeping it's foot out of it's mouth, or the murder in Wales of an Asian man at a hospital? It's time to stop looking for someone to blame (cue Shaggy's "Wasn't me" refrain, as frankly that seems to be the sum total of the various arguments about racism from most race groups) and face up to our collective responsibility to sort the whole shitty mess out and get on with evolving as a race.

--------------------
Light's deeply tedious blog

Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!
+Quote Post
BeezleBozo
post Apr 16 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #7

sacrosanct

Member No.: 286

Your friends sound like losers. You know what they say about birds of a feather.
+Quote Post
Buddha Bubba
post Apr 16 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #8

heifer

Member No.: 319

QUOTE(BeezleBozo @ Apr 16 2007, 07:06 PM) *

You know what they say about birds of a feather.

Prejudging someone on a thread about predjudice, how delicious!

Light: I live in Merseyside so no, not an area where there is much racist tension. I can understand what you are saying in that you can understand the need to fight racism with segregation but i've always been of the Martin Luther school of thought in aiming towards a melting pot society.

In fact having worked on the cruise ships with over 70 different nationalities, I would say the main area of segregation is to with culture not colour. All the bar waiters and cabin crew etc would hang around together, same with the cruise staff and entertainment staff, and the engineers would hang out together. It wasn't enforced segregation but rather a subconscious one.
+Quote Post
Deborah
post Apr 16 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #9

calf

Member No.: 320

QUOTE(Buddha Bubba @ Apr 15 2007, 02:59 PM) *

The reason I ask this is that i am in a bit of a dilema. I mean, in my personal opinion there is no difference apart from cosmetic between black and white people. Somehow I told a black friend of mine tonight that I felt it was okay to make racist comments so long as they weren't meant. In other words I have friends who literally take the piss out of her because of her colour, but they weren't taking the piss because of her colour as such but rather my reaction to them taking the piss out of her colour. In other words they are taking the piss out of my in their opinion overly p.c stance. I told the said friend tonight that these folks were saying this stuff and that i through my belief that the actual target of the ridicule was me let the comments go. The girl now i think sees me as racist for allowing this stuff to go ahead even though i believe it is wrong at a base level.

If I cut everyone out of my life who felt treated someone differently due to the colour of their skin o'd have no friends and have to disown my family. Would this be the correct thing to do or not?

Yes, you should disown your family, especially if they're black!
+Quote Post
wafflewaitress
post Apr 16 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #10

sacrosanct

Group: Sacred Moderators
Member No.: 8

QUOTE(Deborah @ Apr 16 2007, 03:40 PM) *

Yes, you should disown your family, especially if they're black!

May I be the first to say...huh?...

--------------------
All you need is love, love.. Love is all you need.
+Quote Post
charismagician
post Apr 16 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #11

someone may be about to be eaten alive...let's take a look, shall we? Any takers?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dick Handsome
post Apr 16 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #12

sacrosanct

I don't know what that avatar is, but it frightens me. Might I add I'm not one to frighten easily...

Except by snakes.

And gargoyles.

And thunder.

And mimes.

And puppies.

And spoons.

And presumptions.

--------------------
How much you can squeeze
You are the one,
You are a tease
You love my demon seed
Climb on my lemon tree"

+Quote Post
charismagician
post Apr 16 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #13

I once punched a mime and he tried to act out the pain...so I punched him again.

He stopped.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Light
post Apr 17 2007, 02:24 AM
Post #14

sacrosanct

Member No.: 9

QUOTE(Buddha Bubba @ Apr 16 2007, 03:29 PM) *

Prejudging someone on a thread about predjudice, how delicious!

I can understand what you are saying in that you can understand the need to fight racism with segregation but i've always been of the Martin Luther school of thought in aiming towards a melting pot society.

I don't understand the need; as far as I can see, there is no need. But I can understand the desire to do so, even if I do disagree with it.

--------------------
Light's deeply tedious blog

Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!
+Quote Post
Goatgirluk
post Apr 17 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #15

sacrosanct

Group: Sacred Moderators
Member No.: 17

Are you Buddha or Bubba ?, I can't help thinking you sound like you run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. No, I'm not prejudging, just going on what's been posted. If you let things slide ...just because people are family or friends, surely it's tantamount to condoning the very behaviour you claim to revile. Racism is ignorance and should not be tolerated in my opinion, even if it means letting go. Ideally, you want to open dialogue and educate these people, if not, cut the ties. Stand up and be counted. Shit or get off the pot.

And Hello.

--------------------
" The world is a wonderfully weird place, consensual reality is significantly flawed, no institution can be trusted, certainty is a mirage, security a delusion, and the tyranny of the dull mind forever threatens -- but our lives are not as limited as we think they are, all things are possible, laughter is holier than piety, freedom is sweeter than fame, and in the end it's love and love alone that really matters."

- Tom Robbins'

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 02:29 AM
Skin created by Vanson Studios, © 2006 Sacred Cow Productions