Reply to this topicStart new topic
left  Modern Day Slavery, Racism and the Drug War   Options  V right
sacredadmin
post Aug 10 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Sacred Admin

Group: Sacred Admins
Member No.: 1

Feel free to leave your comments on the latest SCP video "Modern Day Slavery" which you can view by clicking here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BadgerBob
post Aug 28 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #2

sacrosanct

Group: Sacred Members
Member No.: 613

Its a fucking disgrace.

And we in the UK are next. Only we're too dumb to realise here what is going on in the US. We just bang up the socially deprived, but we make no money out of them. We are following American hard-line approaches - tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime - but our politicians haven't figured out yet how to turn that into cash.

I await the announcement that UK prisons are going to be the next base for international call centres.

--------------------
Author of the best-selling books "Hunting for Worms" and "Black and White and Hate All Over"
+Quote Post
Dr. Death
post Sep 5 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Ultra Flaming Death Cow

Member No.: 11

I think racism is wrong. That's my two cents in the matter. Glad I could be of service. Duty is it's own reward.

That's right... I'm going for the sweep and you can't stop me.

--------------------
"I am the master... AND the commander." -Shake
+Quote Post
BadgerBob
post Sep 7 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #4

sacrosanct

Member No.: 613

QUOTE(Dr. Death @ Sep 5 2008, 08:49 PM) *

I think racism is wrong. That's my two cents in the matter. Glad I could be of service. Duty is it's own reward.

That's right... I'm going for the sweep and you can't stop me.

Well, you controversial young hero you...

--------------------
Author of the best-selling books "Hunting for Worms" and "Black and White and Hate All Over"
+Quote Post
Nedak
post Sep 8 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #5

sacrosanct

Member No.: 441

+Quote Post
Neon
post Jul 30 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #6

calf

Member No.: 755

NECRO-THREAD-FOR-LOLZ

I'm all for it... Stupid porch monkeys.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
erin
post Nov 6 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #7

sacrosanct

Member No.: 573

I think your fly is open, here. Allow me to explain...

The suburb I live in is butted up against one of the worst, most violent neighborhoods in Chicago. You cannot get from here to the Loop without driving past what is essentially a LARGE rotting hole in the center of the third largest city in the US. Land that would otherwise be hugely valuable in any other large city is like a ghost town, here. If you don't believe me, take a look with Google Earth. Sudhir Venkatesh wrote a very good book about the politics that led up to it. It's difficult to read, but if this is a topic that truly interests you, you should.

I also have a little personal experience, too. I grew up in rural poverty. Both of my parents were on drugs and alcohol all of the time. The people I see get on the Blue Line every morning at stops like Kedzie and Western have more than I ever did. New clothes, cell phones, even iPods. I was homeless through from age 17 until 25. Everything I owned fit into an army duffel. It took me 6 years to finish college. I had to stop, twice, for a year, to earn enough money to go back. No grants, just loans and an endless stream of minimum wage cleaning jobs. Mind you, I'm not asking for pity -- that plus $0.50 won't buy me a cup of coffee.

One thing I took away from the experience of raising my standard of living is that for every shitty thing you can't control, there are just as many things that you can. And letting anything -- ANYTHING -- be an excuse for why you cannot escape a shitty life is ultimately on you. Our ape-like ancestors didn't make it out of the trees and through a million years of life without electricity and antibiotics by being inflexible and unable to adapt.

A documentary like this one does a disservice to the folks it is intended to help. There's a very difficult to distinguish line where those making assertions desperately worth consideration discredit themselves by crossing it. No doubt, there exists an enormous problem. There's some kind of severe depression being passed from one generation to the next, getting worse as it goes. Likely this is what makes self-medication such an easy out. But all of the misguided efforts to 'fix it' are just dumping resources into a black hole. Attempts to "explain" what is happening and why are just so much chaff. Instead, we should be taking a cold, hard look at why these phenomenons persist, in the way Venkatesh did. And not by slinging about words like "black," "white," and "racism" as if they explain something. They don't. They're just verbal slaps.

--------------------
JUSTREMEMBERTHATYOURESTANDINGONAPLANETTHATSEVOLVINGANDREVOLVINGATNINEHUNDREDMILE
SANHOURTHATSORBITINGATNINETEENMILESASECONDSOITSRECKONEDASUNTHATISTHESOURCEOFALLO
URPOWERTHESUNANDYOUANDMEANDALLTHESTARSTHATWECANSEEAREMOVINGATAMILLIONMILESADAYIN
ANOUTERSPIRALARMATFORTYTHOUSANDMILESANHOUROFTHEGALAXYWECALLTHEMILKYWAYOURGALAXYI
TSELFCONTAINSAHUNDREDBILLIONSTARSITSAHUNDREDTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSSIDETOSIDEITBULGES
INTHEMIDDLESIXTEENTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSTHICKBUTOUTBYUSITSJUSTTHREETHOUSANDLIGHTYEAR
SWIDEWERETHIRTYTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSFROMGALACTICCENTRALPOINTWEGOROUNDEVERYTWOHUNDRE
DMILLIONYEARSANDOURGALAXYISONLYONEOFMILLIONSOFBILLIONSINTHISAMAZINGANDEXPANDINGU
NIVERSE
+Quote Post
joshuab
post Dec 3 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #8

calf

Member No.: 791

Hi...

whatever it is Racism is a crime and more over,
Drug addicts should not be treated wildly...
they have to be given consultation and if possible they have to be sent to any rehab centers.
+Quote Post
erin
post Dec 3 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #9

sacrosanct

Member No.: 573

If you break the law, you've broken the law. If you think the law is wrong, endeavor to change it through legal means.

There's a much sneakier phenomenon that is suspiciously akin to slavery: the clemency process. Once you've been convicted of a crime, for as long as it remains on your record, you can be denied employment (or fired) based on your background check. You can petition for clemency, but most states' attorneys offices will push back hard... they will invent arbitrary criteria, if necessary, to prove you are not rehabilitated. They keep records on you longer than the local government, but they will not let you view these records. Likely not even if you slapped them with FOIA.

Court-appointed attorneys typically counsel people to plead guilty, using scare tactics to get them to comply. They capitalize on the common ignorance of the law and the judicial system. Why? People are stupid and often don't understand that they might never even go to trial. The system just wants to funnel these cases through as quickly as possible.

Having said that, ignorance of the law is no excuse. This is our country, and these are our laws. If the judicial system is making huge mistakes,...

...somebody oughta do something about that.

Yeah? Who?

What? Are you NOBODY?

For fuck's sake. What kind of weak mind do you have to have to reduce shit like this to racism? Or any kind of -ism. Weak minds, distracted by pretty colors... this is how things got so fucking bad. Like we're all a bunch of children screaming, "NO FAIR!" Here's a clue: life fucking sucks. Shit isn't going to magically work to your advantage, no matter how much you whine. Grab your fucking nutsack and man up.

--------------------
JUSTREMEMBERTHATYOURESTANDINGONAPLANETTHATSEVOLVINGANDREVOLVINGATNINEHUNDREDMILE
SANHOURTHATSORBITINGATNINETEENMILESASECONDSOITSRECKONEDASUNTHATISTHESOURCEOFALLO
URPOWERTHESUNANDYOUANDMEANDALLTHESTARSTHATWECANSEEAREMOVINGATAMILLIONMILESADAYIN
ANOUTERSPIRALARMATFORTYTHOUSANDMILESANHOUROFTHEGALAXYWECALLTHEMILKYWAYOURGALAXYI
TSELFCONTAINSAHUNDREDBILLIONSTARSITSAHUNDREDTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSSIDETOSIDEITBULGES
INTHEMIDDLESIXTEENTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSTHICKBUTOUTBYUSITSJUSTTHREETHOUSANDLIGHTYEAR
SWIDEWERETHIRTYTHOUSANDLIGHTYEARSFROMGALACTICCENTRALPOINTWEGOROUNDEVERYTWOHUNDRE
DMILLIONYEARSANDOURGALAXYISONLYONEOFMILLIONSOFBILLIONSINTHISAMAZINGANDEXPANDINGU
NIVERSE
+Quote Post
yor12ks
post Apr 3 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #10

cow

Member No.: 969

Thanks to give us the nice opportunity to leave our comments without on some specific topic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
pease
post Apr 3 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #11

bull

Member No.: 931

tl;dr

isms are bad

drugs are fun
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:56 PM
Skin created by Vanson Studios, © 2006 Sacred Cow Productions