Goatgirluk
post Dec 16 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #1

sacrosanct

Group: Sacred Moderators
Member No.: 17

IPB Image

--------------------
" The world is a wonderfully weird place, consensual reality is significantly flawed, no institution can be trusted, certainty is a mirage, security a delusion, and the tyranny of the dull mind forever threatens -- but our lives are not as limited as we think they are, all things are possible, laughter is holier than piety, freedom is sweeter than fame, and in the end it's love and love alone that really matters."

- Tom Robbins'

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BadAlbert
post Dec 17 2011, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Sacred Moderator

Group: Sacred Moderators
Member No.: 15

He's not dead! Have you noticed how similar in resemblance he and Alex Jones are? I'll get my coat...

--------------------
'Heaven help me, I'm in the hands of maniacs...'
+Quote Post
Dr. Death
post Dec 17 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #3

Ultra Flaming Death Cow

Group: Sacred Members
Member No.: 11

They have the Bill Hicks movie on Hula or Hulo or Halo or whatever that video site is called. I Just saw that tonight. I did not even watch it.

Honestly, I'm not all that much of a fan. I'm a complete poser of a Bill Hicks fan. I like him like he was a cool dude and said heavy shit. I like him in that regard. But Bill never really made me laugh too much. He just doesn't. I think I have said this before. You know, whatever. It's not a choice. I can't say I want to like him so now I find his jokes funny. I suppose they are a little dated and I am just not old enough. But eh, it is what is I suppose. I have respect for the man because of his honesty and courage to deliver it, so eh, if the same from me comes across as something negative I think you have missed the point.

--------------------
"I am the master... AND the commander." -Shake
+Quote Post
sunupu
post Dec 17 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #4

sacrosanct

Member No.: 474

It's all in what you look for. I always compare him and Sam Kinison. Who was funnier. Oh, Kinison, it's not even close. Who had deeper material? Bill, not even a question.

Bill sometimes forgot to be a comedian, the same way Lenny Bruce and a hundred other comedians have before or since (most recent example would have to be Dave Chapelle). But who gives a fuck, when you really break it down? There's a reason performers like Bill on their worst days are better then people like Frank Caliendo and Jeff Dunham who never stop: Their material has depth. When the laughs come, they stay with you longer.

Bill had a fantastic grasp on his purpose, which was bigger than simple entertainment. He was spiritual, and his material was the spiritual equivalent of white magic. Even the sub-par material was written with the intention of opening worldviews and combating narrow perceptions. To pull that off, even once in a great while is astounding.

I just wish I could have met him, you know what I mean? Same with Carlin. It seems like every time somebody I follow dies it's just one more ghost I'll never get to know.

--------------------
The best way to get over someone is to get under someone.
+Quote Post
Dr. Death
post Dec 18 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #5

Ultra Flaming Death Cow

Yeah pretty much... Chapelle can pretty much go "Can I get the check please?" or "Where is the bathroom?" and he is still hysterical. Kinison was just fucking great. Carlin was the Yoda Dhali Llama of comedy, hysterical a good percent of the time, and even when he wasn't he was mesmerizing. I gave Frank Caliendo too much credit in the other thread because I Youtubed him after that and it kind of let me down. It was amusing. I did laugh hysterically first couple times I saw him. Larry the Cable guy still writes some really great jokes.

I heard Carlos Mencia doing one of the morning radio shows here a couple weeks ago, and he explained the whole thing with Rogan. He was pretty convincing like explaining that it was just bullshit and misunderstandings -- like when they said the joke about the Mexicans building the wall to keep the Mexicans out -- anybody could come up with that joke by themselves like independently. Shit, first time that was on the news you yourself came up with that joke. I came up with that joke. Then there was another guy who was doing the same act as him, and he explained that but eh... whatever. I don't really care. I mean I can fault him on being the "Mexican" version of Larry the Cable Guy, but so what? If I could make millions of dollars portraying Larry the Mexican Guy I would do it, and I would not feel like it somehow was a breach of integrity. 99% of the shit we laugh at is characters think about it, shows, movies, so who gives a fuck?

I forgot the best part about Bill though, "What do you do for a living sir?", he had very impressive improvisation skills.

--------------------
+Quote Post
FunkBone
post Dec 18 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #6

sacrosanct

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(sunupu @ Dec 17 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Bill sometimes forgot to be a comedian, the same way Lenny Bruce and a hundred other comedians have before or since (most recent example would have to be Dave Chapelle).

I've never heard any evidence that Lenny Bruce was ever a comedian. What was his best joke? Somebody tell me any Lenny Bruce joke. Chapelle never forgot, he just stopped.

--------------------
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth
all of the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it"
- Drive-By Truckers

____________________________________The Earth is Flat____________________________________
+Quote Post
Brain Bucket
post Dec 19 2011, 05:44 AM
Post #7

cow

Member No.: 860

QUOTE(Dr. Death @ Dec 17 2011, 07:34 PM) *

But Bill never really made me laugh too much. He just doesn't. I think I have said this before. You know, whatever. It's not a choice. I can't say I want to like him so now I find his jokes funny. I suppose they are a little dated and I am just not old enough. But eh, it is what is I suppose. I have respect for the man because of his honesty and courage to deliver it, so eh, if the same from me comes across as something negative I think you have missed the point.

Hick's not funny? Come on, Hicks is funny on a level at which only god can rightly laugh, by most measures. I imagine our individual experiences with comedy regulate our sensitivity to "new" material. SO if you had heard Kinison and/or Carlin before Bill - well, consider yourself ahead of the class (respect) - My idea of comedy was Chris Farley living in a van and body slamming tables and running through doors and walls and shit. Hicks introduced me to reality, a man that had already passed away introduced me to reality. Be it a shitty reality, I find it amazing now looking back. "His ideas" have spread at an exponential rate since his passing, I was 14, 1999 - Bill was gone only 5 years - it changed my life and the lives of many like me - kids growing up in small southern villages throughout Louisiana, Texas, Georgia etc.., Living with 500 acres of cow fields surrounding your house didn't hurt to speed up the evolution of my thoughts. I guess my main point is RESPECT! Respect for one of the greatest spirits that has ever graced this planet. May his soul find everlasting peace and harmony. ~Amen

+Quote Post
Dr. Death
post Dec 19 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Ultra Flaming Death Cow

QUOTE(Brain Bucket @ Dec 19 2011, 05:44 AM) *

Hick's not funny? Come on, Hicks is funny on a level at which only god can rightly laugh, by most measures. I imagine our individual experiences with comedy regulate our sensitivity to "new" material. SO if you had heard Kinison and/or Carlin before Bill - well, consider yourself ahead of the class (respect) - My idea of comedy was Chris Farley living in a van and body slamming tables and running through doors and walls and shit. Hicks introduced me to reality, a man that had already passed away introduced me to reality. Be it a shitty reality, I find it amazing now looking back. "His ideas" have spread at an exponential rate since his passing, I was 14, 1999 - Bill was gone only 5 years - it changed my life and the lives of many like me - kids growing up in small southern villages throughout Louisiana, Texas, Georgia etc.., Living with 500 acres of cow fields surrounding your house didn't hurt to speed up the evolution of my thoughts. I guess my main point is RESPECT! Respect for one of the greatest spirits that has ever graced this planet. May his soul find everlasting peace and harmony. ~Amen

Yeah, I don't know. He seemed a little too romantic for my practicality. I like him but I can't choose for him to be funnier to me. Same as I like him but I can't choose to be gay for him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dr. Death
post Dec 19 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #9

Ultra Flaming Death Cow

QUOTE(Dr. Death @ Dec 19 2011, 06:44 AM) *

Yeah, I don't know. He seemed a little too romantic for my practicality. I like him but I can't choose for him to be funnier to me. Same as I like him but I can't choose to be gay for him.

Other things too, like what others would perceive as risque overt sexuality, Randy Pan the Goat Boy and all that. To me it just seemed tame and kind of like put on. The phone sex joke about how his dream girl doesn't bang 20 guys a night... I can see a lot of people relating to that, but to practical me it is just like why would she have to be my dream girl for me to fuck her? That is one example. It's not a critique of him, just an explanation of why I did not relate to him as much as others.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 06:46 PM
Skin created by Vanson Studios, © 2006 Sacred Cow Productions